Friday, July 22, 2011

A little TLC in the garden has paid off


It’s been a good few months in the garden.  Despite this massive heat wave (a.k.a. heat dome), everything is growing nicely.  Even my last three problems seem to be going away.

The new cucumber I planted last week is catching up to the rest of its neighbors.  Since it’s the end of the season, finding a new seedling was not easy.  But my persistence paid off and now I have 4 new cucumber plants to experiment with.

The roma tomatoes are turning red with no signs of blossom end rot.  I have been watering the plant more regularly, feeding it eggshells and tums for calcium, and moved it under the shade during the heat wave.  Now the only thing that can harm it is the warm nights.  But there is only so much I can do.  Now it’s up to the plant to show its resilience.

The thing I am most thrilled about is the red bell pepper plant.  It FINALLY gave fruit! It’s only a tiny green pepper right now, but it’s the most it’s had all season. After months of watching it simply drop its blossoms, I went online and did some research.  I did exactly what others suggested.  I reduced the amount of fertilizer, I trimmed excess leaves, and moved the pot to reduce the amount of hours spent in direct sunlight. In just two weeks my efforts paid off.  I feel I have earned my green thumb with this plant.

Anyway, as you can see from the pictures, it’s been a good season so far.  The squash plants are producing about 1 large fruit every 2 weeks; the other tomato plants have plenty of greens; the chard, kale, and lettuce are resisting the summer heat and not bolting; and the hot peppers are turning red.  It’s been a good harvest and learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment